This combo is a perfect example of the formula for a Fresh Menu Bowl, which consists of a base (rice, soba noodles, cauliflower rice, rice noodles, zucchini noodles etc), a sauce, a protein, vegetables, and accents. In this case, the sauce is the tamari/olive oil and herb mixture; the protein is the chickpeas; the vegetables are onion, avocado, tomatoes, and sprouts; and the accents are almonds and lemon. You can use this formula to invent bowls using your favourite ingredients, and you can make it as complicated or as simple as you like. It is the perfect way to use up all the vegetables and other little bits and bobs in your fridge or pantry.
If you don’t have sprouts, sub baby arugula or shredded lettuce.
Spice this one up by adding our Hot Sauce, Taberu Rayu, or both!
Ingredients (serves 2)
|3 cups||cooked brown basmati rice or soba noodles|
|6 tbsp||Beach Sauce|
|12||grape tomatoes, halved|
|1 cup||sunflower sprouts|
|1 cup||chopped pea sprouts|
|4 tbsp||chopped red onion|
|4 tbsp||sliced almonds or nuts of your choice|
|to taste||hot sauce and/or taberu rayu (optional)|
- Put rice or soba in two large bowls.
- Drizzle 1 1/2 tbsp of the Beach Sauce over the rice in each bowl.
- Top rice with chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado, sunflower and pea sprouts, and onion.
- Scatter almonds over top. Drizzle each bowl with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of Beach Sauce.
- Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze on top.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a month or more.
Yield: 1 cup (250ml)
|3/4 cup||extra virgin olive oil (175ml)|
|1/4 cup||tamari (60ml)|
|1 1/2 tsp||mixed dry herbs of your choice (eg. oregano, basil, dill, thyme, marjoram, sage)|
- Put everything into a mason jar and shake well.