This soup is one of my all-time favourites. It was inspired by the “chicken and stars” soup that my mum used to give me when I was a kid, home from school with a cold. I still love the look and feel of the little star-shaped pasta! If you can’t find them, just substitute any other small dried pasta.
There is something so satisfying and hearty about this soup, yet it is still light enough to enjoy in the middle of summer. And it’s good for you, too! Chickpeas and white kidney beans are high in fibre and a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||olive oil|
|250 g||onions, diced (2 small cooking onions)|
|3 tbsp (20 g)||minced peeled ginger|
|2 cloves (6 g)||garlic, minced|
|1/4 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground allspice|
|1/4 tsp||ground coriander|
|1/4 tsp||ground cardamom|
|1/4 tsp||ground turmeric|
|1/4 tsp||cayenne pepper|
|1||medium sized tomato, chopped|
|1/2 cup (95 g)||dried red lentils|
|8 cups (2 L)||vegetable stock|
|1 cup (200 g)||canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|1 cup (200 g)||canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1/2 cup (60 g)||small dried pasta (stars, alphabets, or orzo)|
|1 tsp||sea salt|
|1/4 tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||freshly squeezed lemon juice|
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened.
- Add spices and cook, stirring, for a few seconds.
- Stir in tomato, lentils, and stock. Cook until lentils are softened, about 20 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, beans, and pasta and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Serve immediately or let cool, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.